I have been a yoga practitioner for more than 30 years, and a teacher for 5 years. Although my teaching certificate is from a South African Hatha Yoga School, I have mostly been practicing Vinyasa or Flow, and Mindfulness. My Flow classes are active, but move a bit more slowly to enable all levels to participate. The goal of my Vinyasa is to build heat and fundamental strength in a challenging workout, but incorporating the breath to instill a calm and relaxing effect. I also teach Yin-Yang or Balance Yoga, incorporating small pearls of wisdom from 5-element Traditional Chinese Medicine into my class. This class is somewhat less challenging than my Flow classes, and so may be a nice class for those new to yoga to begin with. My Yin classes focus on opening up areas of restriction or tightness, not only in the musculoskeletal system, but in the fascial system, connective tissues, and neurovascular structures. Although this class moves more slowly and easily, one is encouraged to maintain mindful presence during the lesson to deepen the awareness of creating more space. I sometimes bring a bit of Darma talk into my lessons, to allow for reflection, inspiration, and growth. My background as a physiotherapist and orthopedic specialist allows me to tailor classes for those with minor injuries, and I do my best to accommodate all levels in every class. I am happy to say that my physical practice on my mat has helped bring peace, loving-kindness, and open-heartedness into my personal life. Come deepen yourself and awaken your being in a yoga class with me.
• Yoga and Mindfulness Practitioner for more than 30 years. Teaching for over 5 years.
• Vinyasa or Flow Yoga classes are active, building heat and fundamental strength but incorporate breath with the movement, to instill calm.
• Yin Yoga classes open areas of restriction, increase kinesthetic awareness, and instill peace.
• Yin-Yang or Balance Yoga is a slower paced class, to achieve improved strength, flexibility, and body awareness. 5-Element Traditional Chinese Medicine and Energetic Chakra System Philosophies incorporated into the yoga practice for improved holistic health and wellness.
• Physiotherapist for more than 30 years (Masters in clinical orthopedics, Doctorate in Physiotherapy)
• Orthopedic Specialist for more than 25 years
• Jazz Dance, Zumba teacher more than 5 years
• Strength and Conditioning Coach/Trainer for more than 10 years